Saturday, May 16, 2009

Puppies Behind Bars

Did any one see Oprah on Friday? It was all about amazing animals - hippos and grizzly bears as pets, but one part was so touching to me that I just had to share it.
Glen Close was on talking about a program she supports called Puppies Behind Bars. This program gives inmates 8 week old puppies to train for a year as service dogs for disabled veterans. These dogs help to transform both the lives of the inmates, teaching them responsibility and giving them a sense of purpose, and the lives of the veterans, enabling them to function again in spite of a severe emotional or physical disability. Its not seldom that I am crying during Oprah - just ask Kyle; or any TV show for that matter (I literally bawl during every episode of the Biggest Loser) but this one really got me!
You can watch the story here. Sorry, there will be a short commercial at the beginning.
Of course, I cant talk about puppies and not include a picture of our favorite puppy.

1 comment:

anne said...

I saw it! And I cried, too!