Last week, I had the opportunity to go with my mom and her non-profit organization, 26:12, to a Young Lives camp in Arizona. Young Lives is basically Young Life for teen moms. It looks almost identical to a Young Life camp except all the teens are pushing strollers or have a baby on their hip. We went to take care of the babies while the girls were doing all the camp activities.
It is an incredible ministry that pairs these girls with mentors at home who love them through all the struggles of being a teen mom. I noticed while I was a camp that this ministry restores their dignity in a way and shows them how valuble they are - to God and to others!!
I also realized how great a generational impact Young Lives is...not only are we sharing Christ's love with these moms, but praying for the babies and knowing that if their mom comes to know God that these children will grow up knowing and hearing about Him - they will someday have to make their own decisions but at least they will have had the opportunity.
The little boy that I took care of all week was a 14 month old named Jospeph who walked like a drunken sailor, loved books and had a smile that melted my heart!! I felt so attached to this little man and truly fell in love with him. He would cry when I left the room, which made bathroom breaks unpleasent, but secretly made me feel so good that he was going to miss me, even for just a second. All the other toddlers in our room were just as precious. My mom took care of two little girls. Ariana loved to clap and sing and always had her paci! Alezae was very dainty and wore as more jewelry than any other baby I've seen. Her hair and clothes were always perfect and she was a doll! Each baby had thier own personality and it was so fun to watch them and get to know them throughout the week.
He was my little eskimoYum...Yogurt
She is so precious
Here is Alezae with my mom
Joseph and his Mommy looked so much alike!
I think we look alike too.
Joseph and Ariana
Here is a video of Joseph. We couldn't believe that the one night that we had to feed the babies dinner, they gave us spaghetti!! Needless to say, all the babies were a mess after the meal. Most of them didnt have bibs, so we just took their shirts off - hah! From this video, you can tell how "un-calm" our room was. We had music playing (that you cant really hear over the screaming baby) so Joseph started to shake his bootie and I just couldn't help but video him.
1 comment:
I copied some of your quotes and put them on the 26:12 blog - which isn't published yet! hee
Post a Comment